Enjoy homegrown flavor in less than two weeks.
Keep your gardening thumb green this winter by growing your own microgreens. A modern twist on sprouts... these immature greens are packed full of nutrients, flavor and crunch. All you need is a sunny window, seed starting mix and sprouting seeds. With just a small investment of time and space, you will be enjoying some homegrown flavor in less than two weeks.
Here's What You'll Need
- Shallow container with drainage holes. Microgreen containers are available for purchase.
- Convert a fast food container into a micro green planter. Punch holes in the bottom of the container. Sterilize with a 10% bleach solution and rinse before planting.
- Fill the shallow container with seed starting mix.
- Plant the seeds according to the directions on the seed packet. The larger the seed, the deeper it is planted. Fine seeds are often scattered on the soil surface and watered in.
- Moisten the seed starting mix.
- Cover with plastic or clear plastic lid to keep sprouting mix moist.
- Move to a warm location to speed sprouting.
When Sprouts Appear
- Remove plastic cover as soon as seeds sprout.
- Move container to a sunny window or under artificial lights.
- Water often enough to keep the seed starting mix slightly moist.
Harvest and Enjoy
- Start harvesting when the plants form their first set of true leaves. These are the second set of leaves to appear and look like the leaves of the herb or vegetable you are growing.
- Cut the plants at the soil surface with scissors and enjoy the leaves.
- OR pull the plants out of the starter mix, rinse and enjoy roots, leaves and stems.
Using Your Microgreens
- Sprinkle on salads, sandwiches and soups for a bit of nutritional zip and crunch.
- Replace less healthy snacks with sunflower and other microgreens.
Written by gardening expert, Melinda Myers. Melinda Myers is a nationally recognized gardening expert with more than 30 years of horticulture experience. She is a wealth of knowledge and we are pleased to share Melinda’s Gardening How-To with you!