End the growing season with a burst of color!
A simple container filled with mums or asters can add color to your front steps, as well as, pots filled with kale and greens that will add fresh flavor to your autumn meals. But, don't stop there. Create attractive potted gardens by combining asters, mums, callies with grasses (pictured), pansies and other fall beauties.
What You Need
- Cool weather annuals like pansies, sweet alyssum, snapdragons, stock, ornamental kale
- Small ornamental grasses and grass-like sedges
- Fall favorites such as mums and asters
- Ornamental peppers and dwarf sunflowers
- Trailing plants like Ivies, Lamium, Creeping Jenny & more
- Cool weather vegetables like kale, Swiss chard, mustard and other greens
- Perennials like coral bells, super bells and lambs ear
- Decorative plastic or clay pot
- Small bushel basket or fall-themed container
- Any vessel with drainage holes
- Decorative additions
- Pop a few small pumpkins or gourds into the container for added color.
- Use berried branches and wispy, ornamental grass seedheads for vertical interest.
- Thriller, Filler, Spiller Style
- Use tall plants like grasses, Swiss chard and decorative branches to provide a focal point and vertical interest.
- Color echoing
- Repeat color from one plant to the other or container to the plants to provide unity.
- Create Impact with complementary color and texture
- Use contrasting colors found on opposite sides of the color wheel--such as orange and blue.
Check out Pasquesi mixed containers for inspiration or purchase...
Arrange it on your Cart
- Select your favorite fall flowers and vegetables.
- Test your design by setting the plants together on the cart.
- See if the color and textures work well.
- Double check the tags to make sure they all require the same light and soil moisture.
- Make substitutions, as needed, to perfect your design.
Create an Attractive Display
- Set a few pots on the front step for a colorful, fall welcome.
- Arrange a few fall containers together in a grouping on the deck, patio or balcony.
Mix it Up
- Add a bit of color to the grouping:
- Surround pots with mums, pumpkins, squash and gourds.
- Add vertical interest with a backdrop of broom corn.
- Set containers among bales of hay, stems of American bittersweet or other fall décor.
As you can see, your imagination is the only limitation. And, if that is getting in the way, ask one of the knowledgeable and helpful sales associates at Pasquesi to lend a hand. Then, get busy planting!
Written by gardening expert, Melinda Myers. Melinda Myers is a nationally recognized gardening expert with more than 30 years of horticulture experience. She is a wealth of knowledge and we are pleased to share Melinda’s Gardening How-To with you!