Top flowering shrubs for spring flowers in the Chicagoland area.
Relatively low maintenance shrubs add plenty of color to the spring landscape, when you need it most!
1. Forsythia 'Show Off': Bright yellow, EARLY spring flowers on compact, deer resistant shrubs. Matures from 5-6' tall and wide.
2. Lilac 'Bloomerang': This special llilac doesn't just bloom once in spring... it blooms summer through fall! Shrub has a tidy, rounded shape and it's resistant to lilac diseases. 4-5' at maturity.
3. Viburnum 'Korean Spice': Pink buds open to fragrant, white flowers. Berries and outstanding fall foliage make this shrub a 3-season wonder! Slowly reaches 4-6' tall and wide.
4. Big Leaf Hydrangea 'Endless Summer': Compact, big-leaf hydrangea with reblooming flowers that bloom on old and new wood. Large, lush flower clusters in blue, pink, purple or white. Prefers moist soil. 3-5' tall and wide in full sun to part shade.
5. Azalea 'Karen': Hardy and reliable evergreen shrub with lavender, trumpet-like flowers. Brilliant autumn foliage. Ideal planted as a specimen or in groupings. Matures to 3-4' tall and wide.
6. Hydrangea arborescens 'Annabelle': Native hydrangea with fluffy, snowball-like, white flower clusters and medium green, heart-shaped leaves. Blooms in late spring and continues through fall. Thrives in part sun and moist soil. A good-sized shrub that grows up to 5' at maturity. Can prune to keep smaller, if desired.
7. Weigela 'Wine & Roses': Rosy-pink flowers add a touch of romance against dark, glossy foliage. Blooms in spring and reblooms throughout the summer months. Hummingbirds love it! Matures to 4-5' tall and wide.
8. Peony 'Sarah Bernhardt': Double, pink blooms contrast with glossy green and deer resistant foliage. Beautiful, long-lasting spring shrub for beds and borders. Matures up to 3' tall and 3' wide.